8 Week Workshop
A Playful, Heart-Centred Workshop for Creative Writing and Self-Discovery
If you’re interested in this workshop the next time it’s offered, please contact Junie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250.813.0183.
So How Does the 8-Week Workshop Work?
Each session we discuss different topics, have different writing prompts, timed writings, and a variety of creative means to get into the writing itself. We never know what will reveal itself on the page…One prompt could lead to poetry, another prose – short story, musical lyrics or stand up comedy material. It’s fun, exciting, mysterious, and serious. It’s a smorgasbord of creative expression on and off the page!
As well, it is not a critique group. It is a sacred circle. Many people join writing groups only to have their writing torn apart; they are crushed and never return. Our souls flourish in a safe, non-judgmental environment. We grow strong in an atmosphere of kindness and respect, knowing we are being supported exactly as we are. Our feedback is kind and respectful where a person feels excited to continue and grow as a writer. Simply put, you are cherished in an oasis in time where writing allows you to be seen, heard and acknowledged.
In recognizing that writing is a sacred art, you learn about self-acceptance and honouring and letting go of self-judgments about how you write.
When we do this, we build a foundation for our writing. A foundation that we can covet because it is ours alone. And, yet, when we access our truth from the place of which I speak, paradoxically, our voice is universal. We tap into the voice of humanity. Because, underneath the layers of our external lives and the masks we sometimes wear, we all breathe the same heart-song.
Simply put, this heart-song is to love and be loved, to be at peace, and to be joyous. Writing reveals this. We know it every time we hear a poem or read a novel or listen to the words of a song that moves us deeply. We also know that whoever penned that inspired work has reached into their belly and touched their soul and reached the humanity within us all. Writing from where you are is a journey into self-discovery which can involve confronting the parts of ourselves that have been hidden or repressed. This is where your energy and passion is. It’s the authentic you
Writing from where you are allows you to stay in present time. It’s about the here and now and honouring that. Even if you are writing about your seventh birthday, running down the stairs to see what your mom and dad bought you, the excitement you feel in your body, even though it was over forty years ago, brings it back as though it was happening right now and that’s what’s relevant and that’s what flows out of your pen.
There is a Buddhist saying that when we eat, we simply eat, when we walk, we simply walk and, today, when we write, we simply write. And that’s what we do!
What else can you expect?
- Break through writer’s block
- Access your creative muse
- Deepen self-awareness
- Enhance self-confidence
- Experience writing as a meditation on the page
- Write together in a safe, supportive community of like-minded others
- Develop strong friendships
- Have fun!
- Oh…and one more thing—expect music, dance and laughter!
Here are the most popular reasons people have shared with me why they chose to attend my writing workshops
- I want to write but I don’t want to do it alone.
- I am a writer but am blocked and can’t get motivated. I know I need to write but the thought of it makes me queasy.
- I have lots to say but I haven’t a clue of how or where to begin.
- I have designed a course/product/service and want to write a book about it to build my business and reach more people.
- People tell me I should write a book about my life but I don’t have the confidence or a clue of where to begin.
- I have reams of things I’ve already written but don’t know what to do with them.
- Sometimes I think what I have written is pretty good but I’m embarrassed to show it to anyone. What if nobody else does?
- My grade 6 teacher told me I couldn’t write.
- I can’t spell worth a damn.
- English isn’t my first language.
- I want to write a book but there are already so many on the subject.
- I’m nervous about what could come out, or worse, what if nothing does?
- I always dreamed about being a writer but kept it tucked away somewhere private.
- I’m ready to give it a try. What if I fail?
- I don’t have time.
- I’m too old. I should have started writing a long time ago.
- I have so much stored up in me. I feel if I don’t write it down, I’ll burst—but when I pick up my pen, nothing comes out!
- I’m afraid I won’t be as good as the others.
I Can Happily And Confidently Say That I Have Allayed All The Concerns Stated Above and many more!
My book, Write Where You Are, is now available on Amazon and Kindle
“Junie, in my entire life I have known two people who are skilled in the art of listening in a way I truly feel heard—that what I have to say is of value, is important, that I matter. You are one of them.” – Deborah Hawkey
You must stay drunk on writing so that reality cannot destroy you.
Ray Bradbury — Zen and the Art of Writing
“The sweet whisperings of your soul meet you on the page and something shifts. You strengthen. You begin to stand taller and one day you notice that your voice on the page becomes your voice in the world.” -Junie Swadron
Call for information:
Please sign up for Junie Swadron’s mailing list in order to receive up-to-date information on programming for this and other workshops, seminars and event activities.
If you have any questions, and/or you are interested in booking this workshop for your business or organization, or are interested in one-to-one coaching in person/telephone or Skype please visit the Contact Information page.
I truly did not believe it could be this easy! Junie, you have no idea how long I have been blocked. Thank you for bringing the writer in me back to life. Sheila White
Dear Junie, thank you for creating such a sacred, safe and healing place as this group. I so appreciate the wonderfully spiritual, non-judgmental, supportive, loving and talented person and facilitator you are. Your deep love of the written word is always evident. During these past weeks you’ve given me a deeper appreciation of the benefits and value of this medium both personally and professionally. I loved the different exercises and processes you offered us. They managed to shake things up inside me and challenged me to stretch myself beyond my comfort zone to a place where I feel confident to do this on my own. Yes, my wisdom lies inside of me and the writing brings it out in miraculous ways. Finally, thank you for your ever-present humour and sense of fun! Love, Irene Boehn-Hill
Dear Junie, when I put the pen to paper in the form which you taught me, my heart chakra comes alive and stirs my soul into a recognition and familiarity I’ve never felt before. You have guided me through my frightened blur of confusion to a place of greater clarity and peace – given each of us a greater understanding of our worth, a reaffirmation that we can do it – and it’s worth the effort to get to the other side. Always, your approach is gentle, your manner is intensely present, your suggestions appropriate and always heart-felt. Thank you. Catherine Frieberg-Valaderes
Write Where You Are
Dates: To be announced
Time: 7 pm – 8:45 pm
Where: James Bay, Victoria